Victor Chang PhD Scholarship
Become a ‘Victor Chang PhD Scholar’
The Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute is proud to support and invest in the future of PhD students, and our objective is to develop the next generation of researchers. To this end, we are delighted to offer the ‘Victor Chang PhD Scholarship’ for 2017.
Established in 1994, the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute has grown rapidly in its twenty-two years of operation, and today runs five research divisions, overseeing 15 independent research laboratories. We are a leading Biomedical Research Institute that offers a stimulating and challenging environment for students across a broad range of programs including:
- Developmental and Stem Cell Biology (Professor Richard Harvey, Professor Sally Dunwoodie, Dr Kazu Kikuchi)
- Cardiac Physiology and Transplantation (Professor Peter Macdonald, Professor Michael Feneley)
- Molecular, Structural and Computational Biology (Dr Joshua Ho, Associate Professor Cath Suter, Dr Eleni Giannoulatou)
- Vascular Biology (Professor Roland Stocker)
- Molecular Cardiology and Biophysics (Professor Bob Graham, Professor Jamie Vandenberg, Professor Diane Fatkin, Professor Boris Martinac, Dr Adam Hill, Professor Livia Hool (The University of Western Australia)
We are committed to attracting, mentoring, developing and investing in the future of the best students with world leaders in their field as mentors. Each supervisor provides intellectual and practical support to their students, fostering a research culture of excellence, integrity, professionalism and mutual respect. As a student working at the Institute you can expect state of the art facilities as well as a positive working environment, and the ability to work collaboratively with researchers both within and outside of the Institute. Opportunities also exist to work on collaborative projects with Professor Livia Hool, at our Faculty-at-Large, The University of Western Australia in Perth.
We provide a rich learning environment through the mentoring of scientists by world leaders in their field, the provision of dedicated weekly research and education seminars, as well as exposure to regular national and international visitors that present their research at the Institute.
This prestigious scholarship is available to a gifted young PhD student, enabling them to:
- collaborate with world-leading faculty;
- have access to the finest laboratories and equipment;
- receive excellent mentoring and one-on-one supervision;
- be part of a rich learning environment that includes weekly research and education seminars;
- experience a research culture that values excellence, integrity, professionalism and mutual respect;
- carry the prestigious title of ‘Victor Chang Scholar’ on their CV.
The successful Victor Chang PhD Scholar will receive a top-up of $10,000 (in addition to the standard $6,000 top up PhD students receive), per annum for up to three years.
- Only full-time APA (or equivalent) University Scholarship holders are eligible to apply
- The Scholar must be under the supervision of either an Institute Laboratory Head, or Honorary Fellow
- Research must be undertaken primarily on the St Vincent’s Darlinghurst Campus
- Research must be aligned with the strategic objectives and priorities of the Institute
- Applications will be assessed on the basis of the proposed research project, academic results and (if applicable) research track record.
Once you have liaised with the relevant Victor Chang Institute laboratory head in relation to a proposed research project, and have applied for your PhD & APA, you may then apply for the Victor Chang PhD Scholarship.
For further information, please visit our website – http://www.victorchang.edu.au
Applications close 16 January 2017
WOMEN IN SPORT LONG LUNCH
Latest articleFind out more
SURVIVORS THANK HEROES AT...
ASK THE INSTITUTE
Do you have a question but cannot find the answer?ask the institute